(Fire) safety in your student house

The dangers of smoke

  • Smoke is the number one cause of death due to fire. When you are asleep, you can’t smell anything. But you can hear the alarm of the smoke detector;
  • Be aware of the fact that nobody naturally acts wisely during a fire. Panic can occur at any moment. You can even lose your orientation in a small room filled with smoke;
  • By using plastics materials and electric devices, a fire spreads easily. You just have 3 minutes to get outside. The first minutes are so important, because you and your roommates have to act on your own.


Install smoke detectors. Approximately half of all house fires are not fires with huge flames, but smouldering fires. These smouldering fires produce
toxic fumes, which claim the most victims. That is why you should
install smoke detectors in your own home. Install a smoke detector
on each floor. It is important that the smoke detector ‘guards’ the
escape route from the bedroom to outside.

Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly dangerous gas that is the product of the incomplete combustion of gas or wood or other materials. It is the ultimate invisible killer: carbon monoxide is tasteless and odourless, but carbon monoxide poisoning can cause you to pass out or die, even at relatively low concentrations.

Carbon monoxide poisoning happes quickly. You should therefore be alert to the following symptoms:

  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Throwing up
  • Feeling tired
  • Being confused
  • Feeling sleepy
  • An accelerated heart beat

How does a carbon monoxide detector work?

  • A carbon monoxide detector may save your life. If the carbon monoxide level in the air is too high, this detector will sound a loud alarm.
  • You can buy these detectors at various DIY outlets. Carefully follow the installation instructions, so that you know where to position the detector. Also read the manual, so that you will know what to do if the alarm ever sounds.
  • Check the detector once a month to make sure it still works.